Would you believe me if I told you that, before today’s post, I had two other recipes written, photographed, and ready to share…only to scrap them at the last minute?! I think I was cursed these past couple weeks because I just couldn’t develop a recipe that I could 100% get behind. I have to say it nearly killed me to finish all the work on those new posts only for them to be put on the shelf, never to see the light of day. I hope you know that I only share recipes I’m crazy about (and that my testers are also crazy for) because I want to be absolutely sure you can trust and love them too!
So, with my tail tucked between my legs, I moved on from those two recipes…and I’m glad I did! I’m in love with this Zucchini Bread Oatmeal. Some of you may recognize the original recipe from way back in 2011 (how was that 7 years ago!?). Although this oatmeal fell off my radar for a while, it’s made a serious comeback in our morning rotation. This breakfast is a delicious, creative way to fulfill your weekly zucchini quota all summer long! I know it’s a bit early for summer squash season, but I’ve personally been on a huge zucchini kick this month. The recipe will be a good one to tuck away for later in the summer when you have zucchini overload—but I don’t think you’ll be able to wait that long.
I decided to revamp my old recipe and give the post a facelift complete with some snazzy new photos for you. This bowl is one of my favourite ways to sneak veggies into my oatmeal…if you’re crazy like me, you may even find yourself doubling the amount of zucchini for extra morning veggie goodness (just be sure to reduce the liquid accordingly). Sometimes I’ll even use instant oats (gasp! lol) and those work great as well. Leftovers can be enjoyed straight from the fridge, which will be a nice option on those steamy summer mornings too.
Before I get to the recipe, I want to thank you so much for taking the time to complete the Oh She Glows Reader Survey! We went through every single response with a fine-tooth comb. One of our big takeaways is that you want even MORE RECIPES!!! *Wipes bead of sweat from forehead*, lol. So in the future you’ll be seeing a bit of a shift in blog content—Ask Angela and Things I’m Loving Lately posts will be less frequent so that I can focus more time on recipe creation. I’m going to try my best to zero in on the content that really matters to you.
We also sent out a brand new issue of In The Glow a couple weeks ago (complete with a fun new look too). I had a lot of positive feedback about the “Hello from Angela” message in this issue, so I just wanted to thank those of you who sent me DMs about it. I was also asked by a few readers who didn’t get a chance to sign up in time whether issue 21 would be available online. I’m happy to say that it’s available here! We send out a new In The Glow every 4 to 6 weeks, and if you’d like to receive future issues, you can sign up here.
Last but not least, I have to share this with you here because it kind of blew my mind and made my entire week! Does anyone recognize a certain app icon below?
The Oh She Glows Recipe App icon was featured in Apple CEO Tim Cook’s recent presentation at Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference. You guys, I almost died when Eric plopped this paper in front of me at my desk. His uncle texted him saying we might want to pick up a copy of that day’s Globe and Mail newspaper. (Thanks Uncle Steve for your newspaper sleuthing!) It’s so wild and wouldn’t be possible without your incredible support!
2 generous bowls
For the oatmeal:
- 1 (14-ounce/400 mL) can light coconut milk
- 2/3 cup (66 g) gluten-free rolled oats*
- 1 cup (125 g) packed finely grated zucchini (1 medium)**
- 2 tablespoons (20 g) chia seeds
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon cinnamon, to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg or a dash of ground nutmeg
- 1 1/2 tablespoons (22.5 mL) pure maple syrup or 1 large ripe banana, mashed
- Small pinch fine sea salt
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Chopped pecans
- Raisins or chopped pitted dates
- Pat of coconut oil or vegan butter
- Pure maple syrup or coconut sugar
- Shaved dark chocolate
- Add all of the oatmeal ingredients except for the vanilla to a medium pot and stir to combine. Bring mixture to a simmer over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium. Cook uncovered for 7 to 9 minutes, stirring frequently, until thickened.
- Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla. Adjust spices and sweetener to taste, if desired.
- Divide the oatmeal into bowls and top with your desired toppings. Leftovers will keep in an airtight container in the fridge for 3 to 5 days. To reheat, add the leftovers to a small pot along with a splash of coconut milk. Stir and heat over medium until heated through. Alternatively, you can enjoy leftovers cold too!
1 generous bowl | Calories
380 calories | Total Fat
9 grams | Sodium
220 milligrams | Total Carbohydrates
10 grams | Sugar
14 grams | Protein
Recipe makes 2 large bowls. Nutritional info uses 1 large banana instead of maple syrup.
* Nutrition data is approximate and is for informational purposes only.