Serve this very slurp-able Red Curry Soup from Vegan Richa’s Everyday Kitchen with large soup spoons. For a brothy soup, add more coconut milk or water.
Vegan Richa’s Red Curry Soup with Lentils
Serve this very slurp-able ed Curry Soup with large soup spoons. For a brothy soup, add more coconut milk or water.
Author: Richa Hingle
Yield: 4 servings
- ½ cup (95g) red lentils, picked over, rinsed, and drained
- 3¼ cups (780ml) water, divided
- 1 teaspoon organic safflower or other neutral oil
- ¾ cup (90g) coarsely chopped onion
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 (1/2-inch [1cm]) knob fresh ginger, peeled and minced or grated
- 3 tablespoons (45g) red curry paste
- 2½ to 3½ cups (250 to 350g) thinly sliced bell pepper (any color), carrots, or zucchini (or small cauliflower or broccoli florets)
- 1 (13.5-ounce [400ml]) can full-fat coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1½ tablespoons (18g) raw sugar or other sweetener
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne
- Zest of 1 lime
- 1 teaspoon fresh lime or lemon juice
- ½ cup (20g) loosely packed fresh Thai basil or sweet basil
- ¼ cup (10g) coarsely chopped fresh cilantro, divided (optional)
- Fresh lemon wedges, for garnish
- Combine the lentils with 2½ cups (600ml) of the water in a small saucepan over medium heat. Cook the lentils for 13 to 15 minutes, or until they are al dente, stirring once halfway through the cooking time. Drain the lentils and set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, and a pinch salt and cook until the onion is translucent, about 4 minutes. Add the ginger and red curry paste and stir to combine. Cook the mixture for 1 to 2 minutes, until the paste is fragrant. Add the bell pepper and a splash of water and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the milk, remaining ¾ cup (180ml) water, salt, sugar, cayenne, lime zest, and lime juice and stir to combine. Add the cooked lentils and bring the mixture to a rolling boil, 6 to 7 minutes. Taste and adjust the seasonings. Reduce the heat to low. Add the Thai basil and 2 tablespoons (6g) of the cilantro (if using) and stir to combine. Cover the saucepan and simmer for a few minutes, until the vegetables are cooked through and the flavors meld. Garnish with the remaining cilantro and lemon wedges and serve.
Variations: Add some smooth peanut butter and curry powder for a Massaman-style soup. Add 10 ounces (284g) cubed firm or extra-firm tofu instead of cooked lentils.
From Vegan Richa’s Everyday Kitchen copyright © 2017 by Richa Hingle. Used by permission Vegan Heritage Press.)