1 Pot Vegan Lentil Soup made in Instant Pot or Saucepan. This Easy Lentil Vegetable Soup is warming, comforting and so filling. 30 Minute Freezer friendly, Everyday Ingredients. Gluten-free, Soyfree, Nutfree Recipe. Jump to Recipe
Lentil soups in various forms are pretty much a staple in the house. Whats not to love! A Comforting Bowl of delicious brothy or creamy, veggies and lentils that are cooked just perfect.
Soups make a great 1 Pot meal with any veggies added in. Adjust the cooking time based on lentils used (there are various types of lentils! which might need a few minutes less or more cooking time) and make it brothy/stewy, or creamy by blending some of the soup or adding some coconut milk. Simple spices such as cumin, curry powder(which you can change up or omit), garlic and tomatoes adding amazing flavor to the broth, with a good helping black pepper to add warmth and amazing flavor. So much deliciousness in a bowl! Use other spices and herbs for variations. See tips below to make the best lentil soup every time!!
More Soups from the blog
Tips to make a great Lentil Soup
- Lentils are not all same: There are Indian Brown(might also be labelled as unskinned/whole red lentils, Sabut Masoor(hindi)), Spanish Brown, Green, Puy, beluga, yellow, red(quick cooking lentils, dont use these in this recipe) etc. I usually use brown lentils as I prefer their texture and flavor. Green and other lentils will work as well. Green lentils might need additional 2 mins in the InstantPot and 10 mins in saucepan.
- Age of the lentils also can interfere in the time needed to cook them to your preferred doneness. Add more time if they dont get done enough, reduce the time a bit if they cook too soft in the given time.
- Mash some of the lentils with a spatula, blend some for a thicker soup, or add some coconut milk in the end for creamier.
Vegan Lentil Soup Instant Pot or Saucepan
1 Pot Vegan Lentil Soup made in Instant Pot or Saucepan. This Easy Lentil Vegetable Soup is warming, comforting and so filling. 30 Minute Freezer friendly, Everyday Ingredients! Gluten-free, Soyfree, Nutfree Recipe
Course: Main Course, Soup
Cuisine: fusion, Gluten-free, Vegan
Keyword: best lentil soup, curry lentil soup, easy lentil soup, lentil vegetable soup, vegetarian lentil soup
Calories: 174 kcal
- 1/4 cup broth or water or use 1 tsp oil
- 1/2 onion chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic ,finely chopped
- 1/2 inch ginger ,finely chopped
- 1 hot green chili , finely chopped (optional), use mild or bell pepper for less heat
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin or ground coriander or both
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 to 1 tsp garam masala or curry powder or ethiopian berbere, or just use more of cumin or coriander
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme or rosemary (optional)
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 3/4 cup sliced carrots , or other veggies
- 15 oz tomatoes or 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 3/4 cup lentils or a mix of brown/green lentils, mung beans
- 2.5 cups veggie broth or water , 3 cups for saucepan
- 3/4 tsp salt , less or more depending on if the veggie broth is salted
- 2 cups spinach or chopped quick cooking greens
- cayenne and lemon/lime juice to taste
- pepper flakes for garnish
Start the Instant pot pressure cooker on saute. Add broth and let it heat up. Add onion, garlic, ginger, chili and pinch of salt. Cook until translucent 2-3 mins). Deglaze with a tbsp broth if needed in between.
Add the spices and mix in. Add tomatoes and cook for 2 mins. Mash the larger pieces.
Add the lentils, water/broth and salt and mix really well to pick up any stuck bits.
Close the lid and Pressure Cook for 12 to 15 mins (depending on preference and lentils used).
Let the pressure release naturally. Open the lid, and mix in the greens. Add some cayenne and lime juice. Taste and adjust salt and flavor. Mash some of the lentils with a spatula or blend a 1/2 cup of the soup and mix in for thicker soup. You can also add a 1/2 cup non dairy cream or coconut milk for creamy soup.
Stovetop: Follow Step 1,2,3 in a saucepan over medium heat. You will need to cook a few mins longer at each step. Bring to a boil and cook for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to medium-low, partially cover and continue to cook for 15 minutes or until the lentils are cooked to preference. Fold in the greens and cook for another 2 mins. Add lemon juice, adjust salt and pepper.
Store the cooled leftover soup in a covered container in the refrigerator for upto 4 days and freeze for upto a month.
Variation: Add other veggies like celery, potatoes, cauliflower, sweet potato, butternut.
Add 1/4 cup red lentils with the brown lentils for a creamier soup.
Omit the spices(turmeric, cumin, curry powder), and just add herbs such as thyme, oregano and rosemary.
Nutrition is for 1 serve
Vegan Lentil Soup Instant Pot or Saucepan
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value*
Sodium 519mg 22%
Potassium 788mg 23%
Total Carbohydrates 32g 11%
Dietary Fiber 13g 52%
Protein 12g 24%
Vitamin A 126.3%
Vitamin C 30.4%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.