Instant Pot Ziti with Tomato Sauce. Date Night Quick Pasta Meal with Ziti, sprinkled with vegan parm and fresh herbs. 1 Pot! Vegan Soyfree Recipe. Easily Glutenfree, Nutfree. Jump to Recipe
Sometimes you just need a simple pasta meal! And in a jiffy. This Ziti with herbed tomato pasta sauce fits just there. Put everything in an Instant Pot, pressure cook and done. 20 minutes to a fabulous meal. Add some vegan parm, cashew milk or vegan mozzarella for creamier or cheesier flavor. Add some veggies in with the sauce, fresh herbs for garnish and serve with some crusty garlic bread.
This Vegan Ziti comes together really quickly. It has some amazing flavor from the gently toasted garlic, tomato sauce that gets cooked to a wonderful flavor under pressure, and the pasta that cooks right with it. Sprinkle with some toasted breadcrumbs and vegan parm for a Baked Ziti kind of effect. Saucepan instructions in notes and tips for cooking pasta in Instant Pot below.
More Instant Pot Recipes
Tips to cook pasta in Instant Pot
- Pasta and tomato based sauces in the Instant Pot pressure cooker can easily end up with issues such as burn errors, uneven cooking etc. For a well cooked pasta, mix with the sauce really well, pressure cook time for pasta is a min or so more than half the time listed on the pasta package. Letting the pasta sit for a few minutes before release helps cook any unevenly heated portions.
- Tomatoes and tomato based sauces easily scorch the bottom of the pot during sauteing. The scorching or sticking at the bottom is usually the reason the pot gives a burn message under pressure. Try some things like using oil, using a smoother tomato sauce rather than chunky, switching off saute earlier to avoid scorching, mixing the sauce or ingredients really well so that nothing is stuck to the bottom, and use a bit more liquid if the sauce is too thick.
- I also find that cooking the on saute actually helps, as it allows you to see if there are ingredients that are going to scorch when under pressure. If they start sticking or scorching during saute itself, there are more chances of them sticking under pressure. The heating up of the ingredients, allows the pot to come to pressure quickly, which also reduces the time the ingredients have to keep settling to the bottom.
- If you are adding veggies, add them finely chopped.
Instant Pot Ziti with Tomato Sauce
Instant Pot Baked Ziti with Tomato Sauce. Date Night Quick Pasta with Ziti, sprinkled with vegan parm and fresh herbs. Vegan Ziti Soyfree Recipe. Easily Glutenfree, Nutfree.
Course: Main Course
Keyword: instant pot baked ziti, instant pot ziti, pasta with tomato sauce, pressure ooker ziti, vegan ziti
Calories: 175 kcal
- 1 tsp oil
- 4 cloves of garlic , minced
- 14 to 16 oz tomato sauce, marinara, pizza sauce or tomato puree
- 1.5 tsp italian herbs (thyme, oregano, basil, use less or more depending on sauce used
- 1/4 tsp salt (less or more depending on if the tomato sauce is salted or not)
- 1/4 tsp pepper flakes
- 2 cups uncooked Ziti or other pasta such as penne , 6 oz or 200 gm
- 1.25 cup water , 1.5 cups if the sauce used is thicker
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/8 tsp white pepper
- vegan parm as needed , vegan mozzarella (optional)
- fresh basil or herbs as needed
Start the Instant Pot on saute. Add oil and garlic and cook until the garlic is starting to get golden. (see saucepan instructions in notes)
Add the tomato sauce, herbs, pepper flakes and salt and mix in. Switch off saute. Add pasta and water and mix well to dislodge any stuck bits. Press the pasta into the sauce so the pasta is well covered in the sauce.
Alternatively, add water, veggies if using, herbs, salt and mix in. Then add tomato sauce on top and pasta and press just to cover the pasta but dont mix. (some IPs are more prone to burn errors that others so try both to see which works. Also see tips above)
Close the lid and pressure cook for 6 mins. (4 to 7 mins depending on the pasta used). Quick release after 4 mins.
Add white pepper, olive oil , vegan parm, or vegan mozzarella and mix in. Garnish with more parm and fresh herbs.
For tomato cream sauce, add 1/3 cup cashew cream and some nutritional yeast and mix in. Saute to bring to just a boil. Garnish and serve
For gluten-free, use glutenfree pasta.
Saucepan: Cook the pasta according to instructions on the package and set aside. Heat a skillet over medium heat and follow step 1 and step 2 without any water. Simmer the sauce for 2-3 mins, adjust flavor and salt and fold inthe pasta. Add the white pepper, basil, vegan parm or vegan mozz and mix in. Cover, switch off heat and let sit for 3 mins for the flavors to meld. Garnish with more vegan parm or toasted breadcrumbs.
Nutrition is for 1 serve
Instant Pot Ziti with Tomato Sauce
Amount Per Serving
Calories 175 Calories from Fat 36
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 4g 6%
Sodium 501mg 21%
Potassium 454mg 13%
Total Carbohydrates 30g 10%
Dietary Fiber 3g 12%
Protein 5g 10%
Vitamin A 11.6%
Vitamin C 10.8%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.